Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: SW for Thu 08.13

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
A bit stronger forecast north of Chicago. I'm getting greedy again and debating with my self-shall I go and experience first hand Silver Lake, WI /1hr30min drive/ or be humble and safe and go as usual to Wolf /1hr drive/?! Some of you guys have any plans for Thursday ?

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #2

Hey Ady I was told once from Ralph at southport rigging to stay out of the water during the summer months at silver lake folks were getting ear infections
and itch just a thought that was a while ago maybe ok now there is alot of alge weeds there

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #3

• Albert
  • Fresh Breeze
I was thinking of going to Silver Lake tomorrow as well - if I can get out of work early and if the forecast doesn't change. Likely I will not get there until 1:30 - 2PM though at the earliest (if I do go). In terms of the infections, I do get really bad allergies (nasal congestions/sinus pressure) every single time I go to Lake Andrea or Silver Lake. I blame it on the algae - but it could be something else.

Ady, if you do go there tomorrow, make sure to bring your weed fin with you.

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wow! No way! Thanks for the heads up guys! Having to sail 1m bigger is a small penalty I guess compared to dealing with weeds all day long /I don't have a weedy/ and ears chomping bugs afterwards and the gas is up on top of that. I'll stick to good ol' Wolf then. See you there.

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #5

I'm going to try to make it to Wolf for the first time tomorrow if I can get a few things done in the morning.

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #6

I'll be at Montrose around 5:00. I'll be the guy towing the board behind my bike :-)

Dan

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Wolf report: steady 7.5 right now

SW for Thu 08.13 8 years 8 months ago #8

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Typical August wind today-loooong lulls and shrt gusts. Got some planing, so not too bad. Sailed a 7.5 the whole sesh.

SW for Thu 08.13 6 years 9 months ago #9

Well I guess this is a good place to start as this was the last time I was on the water (8/13/15). 2016 was a bad year to get on the water, either to busy or no wind when I was available, 0 TOW. This year my wife and I made it to Bonaire the end of April/May for 8 days. Six days on the water and it was fantastic! I'll give it a review with some pixs when I get it together. Basically worked on getting comfortable in the harness with a steady 18-20knot winds every day. Last Monday I made it out to Wolf to work on getting into the straps. I used my big beginners Starboard Go board with a 4.7. Overall a good day and good experience. I also went to Wolf yesterday to try to get into the straps and hook in. I thought I would try my 165l & a 6.0. I didn't have much luck getting my front foot in. It just felt awkward as if I have to struggle with the sail and my body position as not to fall over. It feels like I'm trying to hold the sail out in front of me to keep it upright. Sounds weird but that's the best I can describe it. Maybe I'm just going to slow? Although I had one great moment as I was heading in for a lunch/rest break. As I was headed South I thought I would make a huge sweeping jibe that would eventually get me closer to shore. Well as I started my jibe I felt the wind grab the sail so I leaned back further and felt the sail get fuller the more I leaned back. Only problem I had my back foot in the strap and had my front foot against the mast base. It was about then I felt the board reacting in a way I hadn't felt before. I leaned back it started to hop for a short time and then it popped up and I was planing. Wow! What a rush! The sound of the board skittering across the top of the water was awsome! It was so relaxing just sort of hanging there in a very comfortable position as the board just seemed to be taking me for a ride! So now I'm streaking towards the shore line (dead ahead), I get this image in my head of Adys nose and how quickly I'm coming up on the shallows. I think I have been planing for about 100 yards now (and I don't want to stop!) and that one eyed gypsy witch that lives in the woods comes to mind. Thanks Chris! She's just trying to lure me into the shallows like she did Ady. Of all times to be planing, I'm headed straight into the shoreline. All this time trying to get planing and with all that lake out there I have to decide when to bailout before becoming another victim of the lake and we all know things come in threes. Ady, Manuel & no, not me boys! Great day to finally get planing! Harness feels good, just need to work on them foot straps. Next week Wednesday is looking good for Wolf.
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds