Thursday, March 28, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #1

I had a great time in Fond du Lac, WI today. Started sailing at 10am and 82 miles later, finished at 6:30pm. 6.4 in the morning, 5.6 in the afternoon. Launched from Wind Power Windsurfing shop. The forecast for tomorrow looks even better than what they were showing for today.

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #2

Awesome, Stefan, that sounds pretty nice for July. Would like to see one of your gps track maps. You might get wind all the way into Friday.

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #3

That is a lot of miles! My brother, Arden, lives in FDL and was sailing that day too (said he was on his isonic 97L and reflex 7.0). Bummer I missed out - I live in MN but I was just in that area all of last week.

Adam

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #4

Here's the screenshot from my gps watch.
Screenshot.png

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #5

Today wasn't as good as yesterday or maybe I was just tired:) I only windsurfed for 40 miles. I saw Arden both days. I think he was on 6.5 today. I might go to Wolf lake tomorrow. Can't recall the last time I sailed 3 days in the row powered up on smaller sails.

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #6

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Nice size lake Winnebago . Fond du Lac looks like a good place for a few days getaway if you get lucky with the wind . Any tips about accommodation and such?

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #7

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
He if you zoom in on Google maps you'll see somebody sailing in that same area. Is that you Stefan, I didn't know you have such a big board :lol:
image_2015-07-30.jpg

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #8

No, that is not me. Kevin (the owner of Windpower Windsurfing Center) is teaching windsurfing to a lot of beginners there. His shop is right across the road from the launch. Give him a call if you are looking for something that's hard to find, like fiberspar boom parts or old longboard parts. On Thursday I saw him teaching quite a few kids. They mostly use big boards like MIstral Prodigy.

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #9

Ady - FDL is population 40,000-ish so there are many different hotels to choose from. Kevin's Windpower windsurfing shop is a great launch but there aren't really hotels within close proximity to that (i.e., nothing on the water that I know of). So, you could stay right in Fond du Lac, or if you wanted to really have a vacation type feel, Elkhart Lake, WI is 20 miles to the east and is an incredible resort town with lots of hotels on the lake (and nice restaurants/activities). The lake is small (286 acres) but clean and deep (over 100 feet and 4th deepest in the state). If you go another 20 miles east from there you are in Sheboygan on Lake Michigan - great if the wind goes really south or north. Sheboygan has some unique attractions you may not think of (if you like golf, it has Whistling Straits which is currently hosting the PGA championship.

Attached picture is from a few weekends ago - there is also a race track (Road America) in Elkhart Lake. Once a year they display vintage/exotic street cars. NASCAR has even started running there the last 3 or 4 years even though it is a road course (4 miles, 14 turns). I thinkt hey run at the end of August this year.
Attachments:

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #10

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Thanks a lot Adam! Sometimes you don't have to go far to have a great break, right!?

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #11

Camping is an option. I still had a tent in my car from the previous trip to the Oshkosh Air Show and Kevin let me camp in his backyard. According to Ben, his assistant, he let's windsurfers camp there all the time. There's a restroom in the park. No showers. There are number of campgrounds in the area. I'm assuming at least some must have showers if you are against "roughing" it:)

7/27/15 Fond du Lac, WI 8 years 7 months ago #12

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Stefan Hamran wrote:
Camping is an option. I still had a tent in my car from the previous trip to the Oshkosh Air Show and Kevin let me camp in his backyard. According to Ben, his assistant, he let's windsurfers camp there all the time. There's a restroom in the park. No showers. There are number of campgrounds in the area. I'm assuming at least some must have showers if you are against "roughing" it:)
Can't get any cheaper then that, thanks!!
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds