Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Lessons Required

Lessons Required 8 years 10 months ago #1

Hey all,

I tried windsurfing on vacation in december and loved it!

Is there anyone who can offer lessons launching from Montrose in Chicago? I dont have my own board/sail yet but I would like to buy. Before I do that I would like to get some instruction and advice on what I should be buying. New vs used, etc.

I know there is a group up in Evanston that does training but was wondering if there was maybe someone closer.

Thanks,

Steve

Lessons Required 8 years 10 months ago #2

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Steve,
This Saturday there will be a windsurfing swap in Evanston. They do it only once a year, so many people show up to sale all kind of used windsurfing gear. It´s a great opportunity to find out more about the sport in the area and to get some beginner stuff if you´re lucky.
They meet here: Evanston Dawes Park (Just North of Greenwood Beach), I think it starts around 10am.
Cheers,
Manuel

Lessons Required 8 years 10 months ago #3

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Hi Steve, there have been few similar treads lately where you can find a lot of info like this one:
www.windsurfillinois.com/index.php/forum...some-beginner-advice
Unfortunately Montrose is not the best place for a beginner-there is too much chop and waves most of the time . Evanston is still your best bet for getting lessons and sailing in more sheltered water.
As for buying your own equipment -used is probably the smarter option, because you'll need a really big board at first and after mastering the basics on it you'll be looking to replace it with a smaller one pretty soon. It's a good idea to start with few lessons to get yourself familiarized with rigging, balancing over the board, up hauling and holding a rig and doing some kind of a turn so you can return back to shore. If you've been able to progress this far on your vacation even better and depending on your weight you may start looking for a 150-180 Liter board, 4-5 sq meter sail and all the rest of the necessary hardware, wetsuit, booties etc. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions we will be glad to help you online or on the water. Hope to see you sailing one day !
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds