Friday, March 29, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Nice eatern wind coming up

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #25

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Nope. I don't think it was there 2 years ago, but I'm glad to find out It's right in front of the beach I use sail back in the 90's. Great News!

Wind direction determinations 8 years 11 months ago #26

• Raj
  • Fresh Breeze
I sailed Wolf Lake a couple of weekends ago with a N or maybe NNW wind. There was one other windsurfer there. It was fine getting out and getting back in, but it was very gusty, I think in part because of wind shadows, although it was a gusty day anyway. Also a bit of a smell from one of the chemical plants. So it works but not ideal.
Reid Fillman wrote:
Chris wrote:
So just out of curiosity, are most of the recommendations for wind direction based on how the map looks, or do folks tend to write in with their recommendations?

One example... I've only sailed Wolf once, so my knowledge here is limited, but from the map, it would seem to me that North wind directions would at least work in theory.

The recommendations are from years of experience from riders and myself, sesh reports, and what locals are willing to share. Access to sites can change or be closed down. Updates can be made if a local has better or new info or tries a spot on a different direction.

As far as Wolf, haven't seen any sesh reports at that launch on a north wind.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #27

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
Straight N works on Wolf once you clear the tree/houses wind shadow. This picture is from a N day:

image_2015-04-27.jpg

Wind direction determinations 8 years 11 months ago #28

Raj wrote:
I sailed Wolf Lake a couple of weekends ago with a N or maybe NNW wind. There was one other windsurfer there. It was fine getting out and getting back in, but it was very gusty, I think in part because of wind shadows, although it was a gusty day anyway. Also a bit of a smell from one of the chemical plants. So it works but not ideal.

Ady wrote:
Straight N works on Wolf once you clear the tree/houses wind shadow. This picture is from a N day:

Welcome, Raj! Thanks for the info, guys. I changed it.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #29

Chris wrote:
Manuel,
Do you know about Sotavento Watersports in San Juan? I'm going to PR for a conference at the end of May and plan to do some windsurfing there if the wind is still cooperating. Their gear looks pretty good!

Cool! Good find, Chris. Look forward to hearing about the rental and your windsurfing there.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 8 months ago #30

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Chris,
Did you get to go to PR? Did you get to rent from Sotavento? How did you liked it?

Windsurfing in San Juan, PR 8 years 8 months ago #31

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hi Manuel,
Yes, I did go to Puerto Rico for a conference back in late May and stayed at the Tres Palmas Inn, which shares a storage space with Sotavento. Unfortunately, I got there a little late in the season and was not able to windsurf, but I did take a SUP out one morning at the crack of dawn and tried my hand at SUPsurfing, along with about 7 locals. (Needless to say, the locals new what they were doing. I, on the other hand, had some pretty entertaining crashes). Good times, though!

The guy who runs Sotavento is named Albir and was on the pro wave-riding circuit in Maui for a number of years. There's not tons of gear, but he has some nice gear if/when available. He had three RRD boards (I think in 102, 112, and 122 sizes, or thereabouts), as well as RRD sails. Also had about 3-4 SUPs, mostly RRD. When you're there next time, you should check it out. (Oh, and they also have kite gear.)

Two highlights of the trip were that I got to see a kiter on a hydrofoil board (pictured), and I got to hear and see El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico. They're one of my favorite.

Hope all is well!

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 8 months ago #32

Aw man.....i saw this subject line yesterday and my heart quickened in hopes of some wind to take us out of the summer doldrums, but, alas, this was just a tease as the original post is months old.

Of course , by replying today to this post in this manner, I've probably done this to other readers as well!
:)

Windsurfing in San Juan, PR 8 years 8 months ago #33

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Chris,
Glad to heard you had a good time. Too bad for the windsurfing part. As far as I remember summer wind used to be ok, around 18-22 knots. Those photos bring back some memories. That's the beach where I windsurfed all through the 90's.
I'm not clear about how much gear they have. Do they only have 3 boards to rent in total, or did you mean 3 different models, but few of each.

I'm planning to go to PR for Christmas and it would be great to have reliable shop where to rent.

Windsurfing in San Juan, PR 8 years 8 months ago #34

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Manuel,
The three boards I mentioned are their higher performance boards. If my memory serves me correctly, Albir has 2-3 bigger boards (like 130L 150L and 170L, with daggerboard). (The 130 is a Firemove.) I believe he also has a smaller wave board of his own that he may be willing to rent, but you'd have to call him before going down there. I'm sure he can hook you up one way or another. Sounds like there's some good wave action there when the wind is on.

I forgot one picture before, which I'm attaching now.

If you go for Cmas, let me know how it goes!

IMG_2249.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, Alan, re: the title. I changed the title of my post, but I see that it's still coming up under the "nice eastern wind" forum. I guess I we should have started a new thread altogether. (Does that sound about right, Reid?)

Chris

C.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 8 months ago #35

It's all good, Chris, we're following Manuel's lead on his topic. Thanks for the info and pics. It helps get the word out. The more folks that see it and get interested the bigger they make the fleet. The bigger the fleet the more folks want to go there and so on. The next thing you know Puerto Rico is back to its windsurfing glory.
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds