Saturday, April 20, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Nice eatern wind coming up

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #13

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Good to know about Rainbow beach. Thanks.

NW launches in Chicago? 8 years 11 months ago #14

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Cool. Helpful info., Andrew!

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #15

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
The reason in my case is because where I learned (Puerto Rico north shore) starboard was the only option for bump and jump. It was natural progression for me. I guess it would be the same for everybody else, unless they have access to breaks in both tacks and therefore easier to notice a preference. I have a regular stance (not goofy), but in starboard tack your stance is goofy and still it fills very natural for me, probably for the reason I explain above.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #16

Do you get back there often to visit and surf?

Wind direction determinations 8 years 11 months ago #17

Chris wrote:
So just out of curiosity, are most of the recommendations for wind direction based on how the map looks, or do folks tend to write in with their recommendations?

One example... I've only sailed Wolf once, so my knowledge here is limited, but from the map, it would seem to me that North wind directions would at least work in theory.

The recommendations are from years of experience from riders and myself, sesh reports, and what locals are willing to share. Access to sites can change or be closed down. Updates can be made if a local has better or new info or tries a spot on a different direction.

As far as Wolf, haven't seen any sesh reports at that launch on a north wind.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #18

Garry Zack wrote:
Sounds like we don't have much of a choice on the big lake. I guess you'd have to look at the launch sites to see what winds would give you the chance to practice starboard launches so one could practice using the other half of ones brain. Maybe there could be a cross reference in the launches indicating port,starboard with reference to wind direction..."

A lot of great spots to choose from on the Big Lake.

Keep it simple,

Illinois, Wisconsin side - south wind: starboard - north wind: port
Michigan side - north wind: starboard - south wind: port

And then there's Brian who can make anything starboard :lol:
brian_starboard_jump.jpg

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #19

Simple enough! Looking at Clinton and the number of access points, it looks like you need to be pretty much spot on there with the wind and your launch site.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #20

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Andrew, LOL. Looks like the most practical option would be to man up and start jumping from port tack.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #21

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
I like to point out that if what you want is to jump waves, going to Waukegan is pointless, since usually the lake is as flat as a pancake, or paper sheet, or iron board, or Keira Knightley chest (she still beautiful) with S wind

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #22

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
No, unfortunately. I go every 2 years, but you can't rent windsurf gear anymore. Dam kitesufing took over. If you want to windsurf in PR you have to bring your own gear.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #23

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
By the way, the first time I ever jump a wave (starboard tack of course ;) ) was on a 12' long original Windsurfer board, with dagger board and everything.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #24

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Manuel,
Do you know about Sotavento Watersports in San Juan? I'm going to PR for a conference at the end of May and plan to do some windsurfing there if the wind is still cooperating. Their gear looks pretty good!
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds