Thursday, April 25, 2024

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Reload Captcha
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Nice eatern wind coming up

Nice eatern wind coming up 9 years 3 days ago #1

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Well, as long the forecast holds. That means it would be starboard tack for jumping wave. And that means I can't wait (since I suck in port tack). Is that the case, you all are welcome to visit me at 63rd street beach.

Nice eatern wind coming up 9 years 2 days ago #2

manuel- is parking free at that beach? Any issues with cars getting broken into? I've stopped by there several times over the years but never sailed there. How would you compare it to montrose for sailing NE/E winds?

Nice eatern wind coming up 9 years 2 days ago #3

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Alan, the parking is not free. I think is like $1 an hour, In general I like 63rd more. Is less of a washing machine than Montrose on very windy days, and since most of the time I'm by myself I feel safer because you stay closer to the beach with on shore winds. In terms of security in the surrounding areas, I've never have any problem and always see cops patrolling the area. Also, the rigging area is closer to the lunching area. Finally, it is 5 min from my place, and that's is really hard to beat.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #4

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Hi Manuel,
I've never sailed 63rd, but from looking at the map, it seems like East there would be great, with the break wall to the east and shoreline to the west. I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this question, but I'm wondering why the "best wind" direction in the "Launches" section of the website doesn't include East as well. Here's what's listed:

Best Wind: NNW, N
Other Wind: NW, NNE, NE

Any thoughts?

C.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #5

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Hi Chris,
Good question. In my opinion base on my own skills east will be the best direction, since that would allow me to jump waves on starboard tack, since I'm much better on that side. I guess, the problem with the east wind is that it is extremely rare. I can only remember 2 times in 12 years where the conditions were just right with east wind that I had the chance to sail and have an epic session.
I wonder if those recommendations are base on the experience of someone who actually sail the site, (the only 2 people I've ever seen sailing 63rd were beginners) or just conclusions based on the area map.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #6

I changed it. Tell me if that's better. Like I said in the New Launches Page topic in Admin, nothing is in stone and if something isn't right it can be changed.

NW launches in Chicago? 8 years 11 months ago #7

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks, Manuel. Besides East, the other wind direction that I'm looking for a better place to sail is NW and/or NNW. From what the site says, some other launches near you that may work with these directions are 63rd, Rainbow/75th, and 87th. Wondering if you or anyone else has any insights on these places for launching in NW or NNW wind.

If anyone else is reading this up in the Wilmette/Winnetka/Evanston areas, Gillson looks like a great launch for NW and NNW. Does anyone know how strict they are about launching from this beach (and parking there without a permit) before the season starts or after it ends (which would be before Memorial Day or after Labor Day)?

Wind direction determinations 8 years 11 months ago #8

• Chris
  • Gale Force
Thanks for the change to the 63rd St. launch, Reid.

So just out of curiosity, are most of the recommendations for wind direction based on how the map looks, or do folks tend to write in with their recommendations?

One example... I've only sailed Wolf once, so my knowledge here is limited, but from the map, it would seem to me that North wind directions would at least work in theory. What's listed for Wolf is:

Best Wind: SSW, SW
Other Wind: S, WSW. W, WNW

I'm guessing, though, that North directions aren't listed because of wind shadows from houses and other buildings? Or, do folks actually sail Wolf on NW-N days as well?

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #9

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
Let me set the record straight. I sail on 63rd mostly with N and NE winds because that what you get most of the time. N is better than NE because you get more side wind, also because you can sail away from the beach going upwind, which is a good thing during the summer when there is people in the beach. If my skills jumping on port tack were as good as on starboard tack, I would love N almost as much as E. E still better. For sure it is not a good place for W, S and NW. For NNW, I guess is ok but I'd need to pay more attention the next time I get the chance to sail with NNE wind. I'll let you know.
I only use Rainbow to teach my son how to windsurf because the south end the beach is perfect with a nice little bay.
Thank you Reid for the photo in the description of 63rd. That 's my stuff.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #10

• Manuel
  • Gale Force
One more thing about 63rd. During the summer months there is a water sport rental company who got exclusive rights to the south portion of the beach. You CANNOT lunch from that area. I usually lunch right next to them, but now they have some freaking buoys to separate their side of the beach from the rest that make it a little harder to get out. The gray area would be the lake/water portion of that beach. To me that's the lake and not a beach. As long I'm in the water, in my opinion, I'm not in "their" beach. When the waves are big you don't have to worry about them because they don't rent with those conditions.

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #11

Manuel, you state that you prefer starboard vs port tacking. I'm curious if you or others are right handed or left and if you think this plays into your preferred way you tack? I know in snow boarding they consider right foot forward as "goofy foot". Is there any similarity to wind surfing or is it just a comfort thing or the wind you tended to sail at that particular beach when you learned? Do others find themselves yearning for specific wind directions at specific launches and could this be a factor for more favorable wind directions for the launches?

Nice eatern wind coming up 8 years 11 months ago #12

So I guess like most sports there's an amount of having ambidextrous ability that Is always beneficial, although we all have a preference, right,left,port,starboard etc... I'm assuming this is a key investigating point before you would book a windsurfing trip? Sounds like we don't have much of a choice on the big lake. I guess you'd have to look at the launch sites to see what winds would give you the chance to practice starboard launches so one could practice using the other half of ones brain. Maybe there could be a cross reference in the launches indicating port,starboard with reference to wind direction ( Reid is sitting there saying, "U out of U mind?"
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds